“A fantastic ‘hands-on’ experience which allowed the children access to a range of artefacts that we just couldn’t access in the classroom.”
“An excellent day out – great value for money children loved it from beginning to end.”
“The Roman Tour was brilliant! The children learnt loads and loved – the ‘strict’ soldier. Thank you for adapting the trip round my children – we are really grateful.”
• In your confirmation pack you will receive a ‘Teachers’ Guide to the Galleries’ to photocopy for your adult helpers before your visit. Link
• Please ensure that your adult helpers understand that they will be working with small groups in the galleries and in the workshop.
• Childrens’ worksheets are available on the website.
We recommend a ratio of 1:6 for EYFS and Key Stage 1 and 1:10 for Key Stage 2. The adult helpers should be prepared to encourage childrens’ learning and are admitted free of charge. Please discuss with us if you would like to bring extra adults.
• Please remember to bring lunches in small bags.
• If you do bring rucksacks please be aware that you will have to keep them with you all day.
• As part of our commitment to the environment we ask that you take all your rubbish away with you for recycling.
Special educational needs
We warmly welcome all children and young people to the museum whatever their needs and abilities. In order for your class to get the most out of their visit we ask that you let us know in advance if you have any children with mobility issues, or other Special educational needs so we can tailor our sessions accordingly. This is especially important for wheelchair users as the museum has no lift access to the upper floors.
How to book
Stage 1: booking your visit
Complete the on-line enquiry form to trigger a return phone call, or ring Amelia on 01244 972089, or send Amelia an email.
Stage 2: The return phone call
Our Bookings Office will call you back to agree a date for your visit, discuss any special requirements and the charges for your chosen session.
Stage 3: The confirmation pack
After you have agreed a date with the Bookings Office you will receive a confirmation pack containing your booking confirmation and information for teachers. Please study these carefully and check that the times of arrival and of departure are correct. If you have any queries about this get in touch as soon as possible.
Numbers can be altered up to 3 weeks before the date of your visit. We will ask for payment before your visit.
Please check our cancellation policy when you make your booking.
If you have booked a Roman Soldier tour, Chester Boat Tour or City Tour you will be sent a separate invoice in the post before you visit.
Plan Your Visit
We encourage group leaders to do a pre-visit. Generic risk assessments are available below.
You can download the worksheets for you session here. These can also be sent to you via e-mail if you ask the booking officer when you book your session.
- Teachers guide to the Roman galleries
- Children’s worksheet – Newstead Roman Gallery KS2
- Children’s worksheet – Stories in Stone (Webster) Gallery KS2
- Children’s combined worksheet – Newstead and Stories in Stone (Webster) Galleries
The coaches can drop you off and pick you up outside the museum and there is usually parking available at the little Little Roodee car park just down the road from the museum. Please ensure the coach company is aware that the day starts at 10.30 and finishes at 2.30.